By Maggie Q
This simple summer classic is a favorite of mine. Served with anything off the grill and some sliced raw veggies, this potato salad is the perfect backyard BBQ staple. (I like mine with veggie sausage.) This recipe will definitely make you the star of your next BBQ!
QEEP Cooking! And tell us what you’re making.
Maggie Q’s Classic Summer Potato Salad
- 2 1/2 pounds red potatoes
- 1 stalk of celery, diced
- 1/4 of a red onion, diced
- Scallions (dark tips and lighter stalk), sliced
- Pickled jalapeños, diced (optional)
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- 2-3 heaping tablespoons mayonnaise (here’s my homemade recipe)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 3 Tbs Dijon mustard
- Boil red potatoes with skin until a knife cuts through them easily. Drain water and let cool.
- While potatoes are cooling, dice celery and red onions (slightly larger than a mince).
- Chop a handful of scallions, including the top of the plant (dark green) and the stalk, which is lighter green and not hollow. (These have two different tastes, so having both is really nice!)
- Once potatoes are cooled through, cut them into 1-inch chunks. Transfer to mixing bowl.
- Add mayo, 2 kinds mustard, salt and pepper to taste. (I start with 1 teaspoon each of salt and pepper.) Mix and coat the potatoes.
- Add onion, celery and scallions. Splash the teaspoon of apple cider vinegar (or sub with white vinegar) on top and fold in the vegetables with a spatula.
- Add more salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to a pretty bowl, top with some some scallions and serve. Refrigerate any leftovers, if you have any!